Followers

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Reported speech



Reported Speech
(Kalimat Tidak Langsung)
Lawang Sewu, Semarang, Central Java-(Private photo)

Notice the way we report statements, questions or requests and orders
Questions: (kalimat tanya) 
--> remember that if can be replaced by whether and vice versa. If/whether are used in Yes/No Questions
" Are you going to Lawang Sewu?"
“ Are you still a student?”
“Can you work the afternoon?”
“Do you understand?”

What does your elder sister ask in her letter?”

 What time is it?”
He asked me if I was going to Lawang Sewu.
He asked me whether I was still a student.
He asked me if I could work in the afternoon.
He asked me whether I understood.

He asked me what my elder sister asked in her letter.
He asked me what time it was.

Requests: (permintaan) ---> To + Verb 1
“Please have a drink.”
“Please close the door.”
Come with me,please.”
She asked me to have a drink.
She asked me to close the door.
She asked me to come with her.

Statement: (pernyataan/kalimat)

Am/is

Are

Have/has

Don’t/doesn’t

Verb-1

Verb-2

Have/has+V3

Was/were

Will/won’t

Can/can’t

May


Was

Were

Had

Didn’t

Verb-2

Had verb-3

Had+Verb3

Had been

Would/wouldn’t

Could/couldn’t

Might
Tom:
“ It is alright.”

“They are angry.”

“I have much money.”

“ She doesn’t understand.

“ I need clean water.

“ I saw you crossing the street.
 " I have found the lost key"

“ I was at home.”

“ I won’t give up.”

“ They can’t give more time.”
“ We may leave this town.”

He said (that) it was alright.

He said (that) they were angry.

He said (that) he had much money.

He said (that) she didn’t understand.
He said (that) he needed  clean water.
He said (that) he had seen me crossing the street.
He said (that) he had found the key

He said (that) he had been at home.
He said (that) he wouldn’t give up.

He said (that) he couldn’t give more time.
He said (that) we might leave this town.
Note:    When we’re reporting something, we may also need to change these words.
This --> that                                          tomorrow ---->  the next day
These --> those                                   this (week/month) ----->  (week/month)
Here ---> there                                     last (week/month) ------>  the  (week/month) before
Yesterday ---> the day before      next (week/month) -------> the next (week/month)
                                                           The following (week/month)
Exercise:
1.    “Why isn’t she at work?”
2.    “Where are you studying?”
3.    “What are they talking about?
4.    “When will he visit you?”
5.    “What happened?”
6.    “Did anyone look for me?”
7.    “Can I borrow your camera?”
8.    “Have you always lived in Pati?”
9.    “who looks after the record players?”
10. “How long have they  been known each other?
11. “Do I have to do all these exercises?”
12. “Shall I wait for the others?”
13. “Why wasn’t everyone done the exercises?”
14. “When does the new term start?”
15. “Who do you like best?”
16. “Who likes you best?”
17. “Would you like to come as well?”
18. “Shall I need my raincoat?”
19. “Will you accompany me to have dinner?”
20. “Why don’t we move now?”
He wanted to know
Why she wasn’t at work.
____we___________________
____they__________________
____she____________________
What _______________________
____anyone___________________
____he_______________________
____we_______________________
Who _________________________
___they ______________________
___he _______________________
___he________________________
___nobody____________________
____The new term______________
____we_______________________
Who_________________________
___we_______________________
____he_______________________
____I________________________
____they_____________________

1 comment:

  1. wah...., pas di another quiz ada reported speech..

    bisa bljar dulu...

    ReplyDelete